Thursday, August 27, 2009

Going public ...

So we passed - well, Bean passed, and I came along for the ride. Nuchal fold testing this morning, and the radiographer has just rung with the news that bean is 1:3423. Given that my age related risk is 1:270, I think that we can call that a pass.

The radiographer is the same one that has done all my scans over the last 6 weeks and she made me a "going away present"; she had done a montage of all the scan of the last few weeks. Obviously these people don't remember pregnancy hormones when they do these sorts of things - tears ensued. Is it bad form to hug your radiographer _ I can never tell.

I will miss some of these people as this journey continues - the fertility nurses, the radiographer, the receptionists who know I am insane and put me through anyway. Finally something that non-ivfers can envy, I have developed amazing relationships with these people and that is something that normal people who only have a scan a couple of times or poas will never get to know. So pththththtfffftt to them. OK, I'm not sure it's worth it, but they have made an awful journey bearable at times, and I take my hats off to them.

Since Bean has passed the test, and doesn't need huge needles stuck into them for the fun of it, Spot the wonderboy is trying to work out the most ingenious way of telling everyone. That was our deal, he wasn't allowed to discuss it with anyone who I knew, outside his family until 12 weeks was up. I am fairly sure that he has already taken up the full page ad option in the local paper and is working out some discrete way to change his facebook status. I, on the other hand, still feel that it is tempting fate to say the words out loud, let alone discuss it publically with anyone. I am hoping that changes before, say, the child is in primary school, otherwise that could get a bit embarrassing. Until then, I am just getting fat.

Which I am, although I am not sure that has much to do with Bean, and more to do with the excessive amounts of cheese on toast that I seem to be consuming. A meal is not a meal unless it involves melted cheese and some form of hot bread. I am blaming the bean - needs calcium and protein etc, but really, I just like cheese on toast a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment